Have you achieved all you wanted to in 2014? It’s not too late…
- 3 December 2015
Goal setting is a powerful way of motivating people, and is widely accepted as one of most useful performance management and development planning techniques. But what are the reasons behind this?
The main reasons why it is important to invest sufficient time getting goals right at individual level are set out below:
Aligning individual goals with business plans and priorities
- Good work might get done, but it may not be the “right work” – for example work that diverts effort away from strategic priorities, or contradicts work done by another individual or team. In these scenarios, people are typically pulling very hard with the best intentions, just in different or opposite directions!
- Without high quality individual goals, with clear targets/KPIs, there is no way of ensuring that people are being stretched in line with higher level business area or organisational goals.
Individual motivation and engagement
- Clear, difficult goals that are jointly agreed have a higher motivational value than vague, easy goals that are set without discussion.
- Clear goals allow high quality feedback to be given… and regular high quality feedback is strongly linked to high levels of employee engagement.
- Employee engagement directly leads to higher levels of “discretionary effort” (working harder than required), and improves employee retention.
With 1 month left of 2014, now is the time to revisit those annual calendar goals and put some effort in to end the year on a professional high.